Careers / Embedded Software Engineer (Milton Keynes, UK)
Embedded Software Engineer (Milton Keynes, UK)
Download job description
Senceive wireless remote condition monitoring technology is used in 35 countries in rail, construction and mining. Our precise, reliable and robust products are built to empower clients responsible for high value and at-risk assets. Senceive users installed more than 30,000 sensors last year – helping them manage ground and structural movement, landslide risk, geotechnical behaviour, rail track movement and much more. Systems are installed in minutes and last more than a decade with minimal maintenance – helping users to mitigate engineering risk without visiting site.
We’ve been designing, building and supporting the best wireless condition monitoring technology since 2005. As part of the Previan group of companies we are growing fast and have highly ambitious plans for the coming years.
We are seeking the right individual to join our Technical Development team.
Reporting, Location & Travel
This role reports to the Staff Embedded Software Engineer and is based in Milton Keynes. There may be some flexibility awarded to allow occasional work from home, although candidates should expect to spend a minimum of three days in the office each week. The role may involve occasional travel to meet with customers and support product deployment.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
As an Embedded Software Engineer, you will be working within the development team that produces our world class Infraguard wireless monitoring solution. Products developed by this team utilise computer vision and wireless sensor data to detect movement in key infrastructure assets and notify asset owners with minimum latency. All our products are battery or solar powered, so low power design philosophy and embracing edge computing is a key part of the role.
You will take responsibility for developing reliable firmware components for our products in a Linux development environment. You will be involved in various aspects of the firmware design, testing and review process, and will be expected to function well within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Relevant Skills & Competencies
Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and competencies:
- A positive, professional attitude ensuring tasks are completed to the highest possible standard
- A team player willing and able to collaborate actively and effectively with colleagues and lead by example, encouraging respect from those around them
- A strong communicator at all levels, with excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with a proven ability to perform under pressure
- An appreciation for technical documentation and capturing information for internal and external stakeholders
- A flexible approach with the ability to multi-task and work to varying priorities and deadlines in order to meet the needs of the business
- Strong ability at decision making and technical problem solving
Relevant Knowledge & Experience
Candidates should assess their suitability against the following essential and/or desirable relevant knowledge and experience:
- Degree in Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Solid experience developing firmware for Embedded Linux or an RTOS using C
- Understanding of power and clocking systems in modern 32-bit microcontroller architectures
- Demonstrable experience working in multi-developer software projects using a version control system (e.g. SVN, git, Mercurial)
- Experience debugging at the hardware level using test equipment such as logic analysers and oscilloscopes
- Experience using at least one modern scripting language (e.g. python) for experimentation and tooling tasks
- Working knowledge of object-oriented programming techniques
- Experience developing and debugging device drivers and device trees in Linux
- Experience implementing complex algorithms in embedded devices
- Experience with coding standards such as MISRA C
- Experience in electronic hardware design including EMC design techniques
- Knowledge of IoT concepts such as LoRaWAN, Bluetooth, MQTT, Zigbee
- Familiarity with data management and visualisation tools such as SQL, Grafana
In return for a rewarding and fulfilling career, successful candidates can look forward to receiving a competitive salary, plus a number of additional employee benefits:
- Annual Leave Entitlement: Employees have twenty-five days annual leave entitlement each year, for use between January to December; this is in addition to Bank Holidays of which there are typically eight.
- Pension Scheme: Employees are automatically enrolled into the Company’s Workplace Pension Scheme with personal contributions of 5% or more, with the company matching contributions up to 5%.
- Group Life Assurance: Employees are automatically enrolled into the Company’s GLA scheme which pays 4 x salary in the event of death in service, and includes an Employee Assistance Programme with a 24/7 advice line and a healthcare app.
- Private Healthcare & Cash Plan: Employees are eligible to join the private medical insurance (PMI) scheme, enhanced to include Medical History Disregard, and the accompanying cash plan which offers cash back on optical, dental, dental injury, prescriptions and various therapies.
- Cycle to Work Scheme: Employees have the opportunity to purchase bikes and accessories at significantly reduced rates, with repayments made through salary sacrifice over a period of 12-18 months.
- Tech Scheme: similar to the Cycle to Work scheme, Employees are able to purchase laptops, phones, appliances and more from Currys at discounted rates, with repayments made through salary sacrifice over a period of 12 months.
- Learning & Development: Employees are encouraged to continue their career development through the group’s Aspire programme; there are a huge variety of training courses and development opportunities available through the Previan Learning Centre with subjects ranging from Time Management and Communication Skills, through to Project Management and Languages.
Full details of the Employee Benefits are available upon request, or will be made available on provision of an offer of employment.