Careers / Senior Software Engineer (Milton Keynes, UK)
Senior Software Engineer (Milton Keynes, UK)
Download job description
Senceive wireless remote condition monitoring technology is used in 35 countries in rail, construction and mining. Our precise, reliable and robust products are built to empower clients responsible for high value and at-risk assets. Senceive users installed more than 30,000 sensors last year – helping them manage ground and structural movement, landslide risk, geotechnical behaviour, rail track movement and much more. Systems are installed in minutes and last more than a decade with minimal maintenance – helping users to mitigate engineering risk without visiting site.
We’ve been designing, building and supporting the best wireless condition monitoring technology since 2005. As part of the Previan group of companies we are growing fast and have highly ambitious plans for the coming years.
We are seeking the right individual to join our Technical Development team.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will lead a small team and drive development for a product. Take a hands-on role with a full end-to-end solution using a range of technologies. You will be involved in the company’s data monitoring system which provides customers with user friendly tools for managing IoT devices and monitoring critical data.
You will be involved in various aspects of the product; front end, mid-layer and data-layer, and will be leading the team in developing and maintaining the product.
Reporting, Location & Travel
This role reports to the Software Technical Lead. The role will be based in Milton Keynes, with some flexibility to work from home on occasion although candidates should expect to commute into the office three days each week.
Responsibilities include, although are not limited to the following:
- Lead a team and take a hands-on approach to design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable product and features which complies to best practices and industry standards
- Help maintain code quality, organisation and automation
- Writing and maintaining Unit and UI tests
- Writing and maintaining documentation associated with the development process
- Participate in project reviews
- Provide help and guidance to junior team members
- Help to establish team practices that contribute to greater velocity and quality
Relevant Skills & Competencies
Successful candidates should be able to demonstrate the following relevant skills and competencies:
- A positive, professional attitude ensuring tasks are completed to the highest possible standard
- A team player willing and able to collaborate actively and effectively with colleagues and lead by example, encouraging respect from those around them
- A strong communicator at all levels, with excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with a proven ability to perform under pressure
- A flexible approach with the ability to multi-task and work to varying priorities and deadlines in order to meet the needs of the business
- Strong ability at decision making and technical problem solving
Relevant Knowledge & Experience
Candidates should assess their suitability against the following essential and/or desirable relevant knowledge and experience:
- Proven experience leading a team.
- Solid programming experience using Python
- Experience of using the following technology:
- HTML, CSS
- Web API and RESTful services
- Practical experience with object-oriented programming and REST based APIs
- Experience with unit, UI and integration testing
- An understanding of cloud technology
- An understanding of CI/CD strategies
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering
- Additional experience of using the following would be desirable:
- Azure cloud services
- Experience with Go, Kubernetes, RabbitMQ, Docker, NoSQL
In return for a rewarding and fulfilling career, successful candidates can look forward to receiving a competitive salary, plus a number of additional employee benefits:
- Annual Leave Entitlement: Employees have twenty-five days annual leave entitlement each year, for use between January to December; this is in addition to Bank Holidays of which there are typically eight.
- Pension Scheme: Employees are automatically enrolled into the Company’s Workplace Pension Scheme with personal contributions of 5% or more, with the company matching contributions up to 5%.
- Group Life Assurance: Employees are automatically enrolled into the Company’s GLA scheme which pays 4 x salary in the event of death in service, and includes an Employee Assistance Programme with a 24/7 advice line and a healthcare app.
- Private Healthcare & Cash Plan: Employees are eligible to join the private medical insurance (PMI) scheme, enhanced to include Medical History Disregard, and the accompanying cash plan which offers cash back on optical, dental, dental injury, prescriptions and various therapies.
- Cycle to Work Scheme: Employees have the opportunity to purchase bikes and accessories at significantly reduced rates, with repayments made through salary sacrifice over a period of 12-18 months.
- Tech Scheme: similar to the Cycle to Work scheme, Employees are able to purchase laptops, phones, appliances and more from Currys at discounted rates, with repayments made through salary sacrifice over a period of 12 months.
- Learning & Development: Employees are encouraged to continue their career development through the group’s Aspire programme; there are a huge variety of training courses and development opportunities available through the Previan Learning Centre with subjects ranging from Time Management and Communication Skills, through to Project Management and Languages.
Full details of the Employee Benefits are available upon request or will be made available on provision of an offer of employment.
Thank you for your interest, we wish you every success with your application and would refer you to our Privacy Notice.